Looking to discover the wonders of the universe? Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced observer, the astronomy hobby has something to offer everyone. Imagine yourself, under a clear night sky, with your own telescope, observing the beauty and mystery of the cosmos; it’s an experience that you’ll never forget.
But getting started requires choosing the right equipment, mainly a good telescope. Several brands make this optical device, so you’ll have no shortage of options when it comes time to purchase. But not all brands are created equal, so it’s best to gain some knowledge of the best telescope makers before you start your shopping journey.
Vixen is one of the most reputable brands in the telescope market. It offers a wide range of telescopes and accessories, catering to various budgets and skill levels. Today, we’ll take a closer look at this telescope manufacturer, including what it offers to budding stargazers.
Who Is Vixen?
Vixen is a well-known brand of telescopes and telescope accessories. The company is based in Japan and has been in business for over 80 years. They are known for producing high-quality telescopes and mountings for both amateur and professional astronomers.
The company is constantly working on new technologies and designs to make their products more user-friendly and efficient. They have a wide distribution network and their products are available in many countries around the world. Plus, Vixen is known for its responsive customer satisfaction and provides excellent after-sales support.
Benefits of Choosing Vixen
Vixen telescopes are known for their high-quality optics and precision engineering. Some of the benefits of using a Vixen telescope include:
- High-quality optics: Vixen usse premium quality glass and coatings to ensure clear and sharp images. The lenses are multi-coated to reduce glare and increase light transmission, resulting in bright and clear images.
- Precision engineering: Vixen telescopes are designed and manufactured with precision engineering techniques to ensure that they are stable and accurate. This allows for easy and precise tracking of celestial objects, making them ideal for both visual observation and astrophotography.
- Versatility: Vixen makes telescopes for both beginners and advanced users, enabling them to carry out a wide range of astronomical applications. They are available in a variety of sizes and designs, including refractors, reflectors, and catadioptric telescopes.
Types of Vixen Telescopes
Vixen has a wide range of telescopes to suit different observing needs and preferences. Some of the different types of Vixen telescopes include:
- Refractor Telescopes: Vixen refractor telescopes use lenses to gather and focus light. They are known for their sharp and clear images and are well-suited for visual observation and astrophotography. The A80Mf and Vixen R200SS are two popular examples of Vixen refractor telescopes.
- Reflector Telescopes: Vixen creates reflector telescopes that use mirrors to gather and focus light. The company offers a range of reflector telescopes, including the popular R130Sf and R200SS. They are known for their cost-effectiveness and are well-suited for deep-sky observation.
- Catadioptric Telescopes: These telescopes use a combination of lenses and mirrors to gather and focus light. Vixen’s catadioptric telescopes are known for their compact size and portability, making them well-suited for observation on the go. Some options in the catadioptric telescope range are SXD2 and Vixen SXG.
- GoTo Telescopes: The brand also offers computerized GoTo telescopes with a built-in computerized mount, allowing the user to find and track celestial objects easily. The SXD2 and SXG are examples of GoTo telescopes you can consider.
How to Choose the Right Vixen Telescope
Choosing the right telescope can be overwhelming, but by considering a few key factors, you can ensure that you find the perfect telescope for your needs. Here’s what to look at:
Budget: Consider how much you are willing to spend on a telescope. Keep in mind that the cost of the telescope is not the only expense, you may also need to purchase additional accessories like eyepieces, filters, and a mount. If you want to keep your budget lean, our post, what is the most affordable telescope for a beginner, has some interesting options you might want to consider.
Purpose: Consider what you will be using the telescope for. Are you primarily interested in visual observation or do you plan on doing astrophotography? The purpose can affect your choice of telescope.
Ease of use: Vixen telescopes are known for their precision engineering and high-quality optics, but for beginners, it is important to choose a telescope that is easy to set up and use. Consider a telescope with a computerized mount that allows for easy pointing and tracking of celestial objects.
Warranty: Look for telescopes that come with a warranty, this is a sign that the manufacturer stands behind their product. Vixen offers a comprehensive warranty on all their products, which can give you peace of mind.
Portability: Consider how often you plan on moving the telescope, and if you will be transporting it to different locations. Some Vixen telescopes are more portable than others and may be a better fit for your needs.
What About Parts and Accessories?
When it comes to stargazing with a Vixen Telescope, there’s more to consider than just the telescope itself. To fully experience the beauty of the night sky, you’ll need a range of accessories and components that will elevate your observing experience.
Here are some essential accessories and parts to consider:
- Mounts: A sturdy mount is essential for keeping your telescope steady when you’re observing the night sky. Vixen offers a variety of mounts to choose from, such as the Vixen GP-DX, GP-DX2, and GP-D2, so you can find the perfect one for your needs. These mounts are known for their stability and accuracy, which allows for easy and precise tracking of celestial objects.
- Finder Scope: A finder scope is a small telescope that helps you locate objects in the night sky. With Vixen, you can choose from a range of finder scopes, including ones in its SP and SX series. These finder scopes have a wide field of view and are easy to use, which makes them perfect for beginners.
- Barlow Lens: A Barlow lens is a device that increases the magnification of your telescope. The Vixen Barlow series is available to help increase the magnification of your telescope without sacrificing image quality.
- Filters: Filters are devices that reduce glare and improve the contrast of objects in the night sky. People buying Vixen telescopes can choose from filers like UHC, OIII and Moon filters. These filters are especially useful for observing deep-sky objects and the moon. You can learn more about this telescope accessory in our guide to the types of telescope filters.
- Cover: To protect your telescope from dust and dirt, a telescope cover is a must-have. It will help keep your telescope in top condition, make sure to keep it away from moisture, dust, and extreme temperatures.
- Red Light: Red lights are best for preserving your night vision when you’re using your telescope. Vixen offers a red light that is bright enough to navigate your telescope without disturbing your eyes’ natural dark adaptation.
With the right accessories and parts, you can transform your Vixen telescope into a versatile and powerful tool for exploring the night sky.
How to Use a Vixen Telescope?
Using a Vixen telescope is easy with a few basic steps:
- Assemble the telescope: Read the manual with your telescope and ensure that all the parts are securely in place.
- Set up the Mount: Make sure the mount is level and stable. This will ensure that the telescope stays in place during observation.
- Attach the Eyepiece: The eyepiece is the part of the telescope you will look through to view the night sky. Attach it to your telescope.
- Align the Finder Scope: The finder scope is a small telescope that helps you locate objects in the night sky. Align it with the main telescope by adjusting it until the crosshairs align with the center of the main telescope’s field of view.
- Locate your Object: Once the finder scope is aligned, you can use it to locate your desired object in the night sky. Use the mount’s control to point the telescope at the object.
Remember that it might take some time to get used to the telescope. The best way to learn is by practicing, exploring different objects, and trying different eyepieces to get a feel for your telescope’s capabilities.
Vixen telescopes are a great option for those who want to explore the night sky. With their high-quality optics, precision engineering, and wide range of options, they offer something for every level of astronomer, from beginner to advanced. Whether you’re looking for a powerful telescope for deep-sky observation or a hobby-friendly model for visual observation, there’s a Vixen Telescope that’s right for you.