If you aren’t a total shut-in, you’ve probably had your phone die on you a few times when you’ve been out. And even more common than that is the fear of having a low charge remaining, forcing you to use your phone sparingly at a low brightness level. Now this can be mitigated in a manner of ways; some people prefer to carry their phone’s charger with them at all times and charge it at any opportunity. Some like to take around a power bank. And some try to not use their phone too much when out of the house.
Though all great solutions one way or another, they don’t address one possibility; what if your phone dies anyway? Imagine if you’re out hiking and suddenly your phone shuts off and your power bank has run dry. What then? The situation becomes even more precarious if you’re some place you absolutely need your phone to get out of. There’s no calling Uber or 911 up in the mountains or out in a forest. This is where good old manual labor comes into play, in the form of hand crank phone chargers. And indeed, these nifty little devices will be our focus in this article.
What Are Hand Crank Phone Chargers?
Hand crank chargers are, as you most likely have already guessed from the name, chargers that you give power to by cranking a lever or something similar. It runs on very basic physics principles and is a very effective solution for emergencies. Think of it like a hamster wheel connected to a light bulb, except your hand is the hamster and your phone the light bulb. The usefulness of these chargers should not be lost on you, so if you’re considering getting one for yourself let’s consider what you need to keep in mind before doing so.
Obviously an obvious one, you should of course make sure that the charger you’re getting is not too big to carry around easily. Good chargers should not only be small and designed to easily fit bags and purses, they should also be lightweight and still be able to produce a good charge. After all, you can only crank for so long.
Something some people might not consider while buying a hand crank charger. It is not necessary for the charger to be just that, a charger. While no doubt being the most important part of the whole contraption it doesn’t hurt to have a few extra helpful features built in. Perhaps a flashlight? Or a built-in radio? Or even just a clip to clip it onto your clothes. These quality of life measures may prove very helpful should you need to use the charger one day.
Another one people might not consider when buying a hand crank charger, and something that will be more apparent later on when the charger actually gets used. Make sure whichever charger you’re buying has a comfortable crank handle. Your hands can get sore pretty fast otherwise. In fact, the whole unit itself should be comfortable to hold, else your other hand will get tired or the unit will keep slipping out of your grip.
Now that we’ve got some of the basics out of the way, let’s list some of the best hand crank phone chargers out there available for purchase.
- Inbuilt 2000mAh power bank for emergencies.
- Two different light sources within the unit for different purposes.
- Can use AAA batteries, inbuilt power bank, solar panel, and hand crank for power.
- AM / FM radio coverage as well as emergency weather broadcasts’ coverage.
- Water-resistant casing ensures use in rain.
- Includes an inbuilt 1000mAh power bank for your phone.
- Built-in radio to listen to broadcasts on the AM / FM spectrums as well as emergency weather broadcasts.
- Bright LED flashlight on the front of the unit.
- Can be recharged through a micro USB port as well as a solar panel and a hand crank.
- Water-resistant unit, allowing it to be used in bad weather.
- Has an impressive inbuilt 2200mAh power bank.
- Can be powered through AAA batteries, a solar panel, a micro USB cable, and the hand crank.
- Radio has access to all radio frequencies and emergency weather broadcasts.
- Comes with an SOS alarm system for alerting nearby people.
- Accepts micro SD cards, USB flash drives, and aux cables to play music.
- Has an integrated flashlight.
- Is resistant to water and thus rain-proof.
- Comes with a 2000mAh power bank.
- Has a radio for listening to AM or FM as well as weather broadcasts.
- Has an emergency light for power outages and dark areas.
- Has an SOS alarm system.
- Can be charged via hand crank, micro USB port, AAA batteries or its solar panel.
- Can be plugged in to be charged in addition to AAA batteries, hand cranking, and the solar panel.
- AM / FM / SW / and seven preset weather broadcast coverage on the radio.
- Also has a flashlight and a reading lamp.
- Has a helpful compass installed on its carry strap.
- Includes an SOS alarm system that is extra loud and flashes a red light to signal for help.
- The unit is water-resistant and can be used in bad weather without fear of it failing.
- Hand crank, AC/DC outlet compatibility, AAA batteries, USB input, and a built-in rechargeable battery give this unit a multitude of ways to charge it.
- Radio has AM / FM / SW coverage as well as seven preset weather broadcast bands.
- Has a flashlight and a reading lamp inside as well.
- Has an SOS light and an LED signal strength indicator for finetuning the radio.
- Is water-resistant and can be used out in the rain.
And that ends our list of possibly the best hand crank phone chargers out there. Convinced? Better hurry and add one to your survival kit. In the meantime, if you’re ever looking for something else to read, you can find plenty of stuff here. If you want some random article to read, give The Guide To Power Inverters For Cars a go. Or maybe our Solar Panel Maintenance Guide is more your taste. Whatever type of post you fancy reading, we’re sure to have it.